|Battersea Park Street Circuit|
|Name||Formula E Visa London ePrix|
|Location||Battersea Park, London, UK|
|Length||2.925 km (1.818 mi)|
|First Race||2015 London ePrix I|
|Last Race||2016 London ePrix II|
|Sébastien Buemi||Sébastien Buemi||Nicolas Prost|
The Battersea Park Street Circuit is a former temporary street circuit in Battersea Park, London, UK, that hosted four London E-Prix during the 2014/15 and 2015/16 editions of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship. The Battersea Park Circuit would see both Nelson Piquet Jr. and Sébastien Buemi crowned as Champions, although it was ultimately removed from the calendar after complaints from the local population ahead of the 2016 ePrix.
Formula E History
Battersea Park was first proposed as a host of the FIA Formula E Championship after a deal was reached between London city officials and Formula E Holdings ahead of the 2014/15 season. Wandsworth Council duly entered negotiations to form the circuit itself, with a plan to use Battersea Park approved on 19 February 2015. Simon Gibbons led the circuit design, with the paths around Battersea Park used to form the circuit.
Battersea Park's maiden FE weekend would see complaints about the bumpiness of the circuit, with a suspension failure for Jérôme d'Ambrosio during practice a major talking point. Indeed, the first corner would be modified ahead of the first London ePrix, resulting in the race starting behind the BMW Qualcomm i8 safety car. That race was won by Sébastien Buemi, before Sam Bird claimed victory in the second race. That latter race would also see Nelson Piquet Jr. claim the first FE Championship with a series of late overtakes.
The circuit was unchanged for the two London ePrix staged in 2016, although the entire weekend was in doubt through to early June. Indeed, the local residents had formed a group to resist the race, naming themselves the Battersea Park Action Group, and were determined to prevent the races from being staged at all. Fortunately a deal between FE and BPAG was reached before the 2016 London ePrix, although the series would be forced to leave Battersea for good at the end of the weekend.
Circuit LayoutsA lap of the Battersea Park Street Circuit began with a sweeping pair of corners, a left-right combination before the field hit the brakes to take turn three, a sharp left. A short straight followed before the field weaved through a pair of chicanes, a left-right combo followed by a right-left, split by a short straight. Another short blast followed before the field came into turn eight, a left hand hairpin.
A weaving "straight" follows turn eight, before a right-left flick forms turns nine and ten to break up the back section of the circuit. Another "straight" follows before the turn eleven/twelve chicane, a left-right combo, before the field sweep through turn thirteen, a long left curve. Turns fourteen/fifteen/sixteen form a tight chicane, before a short blast to the tight turn seventeen, a 90° left that carries the field back onto the start/finish straight.
The pitlane entry was found on the exit of turn sixteen, while pit-out was located on the exit of turn seventeen.
A full list of records for the Battersea Park Street Circuit are outlined below, including a list of race winners.
Below is a list of all of the winners of ePrix held at the Battersea Park Street Circuit:
|Battersea Park Street Circuit Winners List|
|2014/15||2015 Visa London ePrix I||27 July 2015||Sébastien Buemi||Report|
|2014/15||2015 Visa London ePrix II||28 July 2015||Sam Bird||Report|
|2015/16||2016 Visa London ePrix I||2 July 2016||Nicolas Prost||Report|
|2015/16||2016 Visa London ePrix II||3 July 2016||Nicolas Prost||Report|
The race-by-race records for the Battersea Park Street Circuit are outlined below:
|Battersea Park Street Circuit Race-by-Race Records|
|2015 Visa London ePrix I||Sébastien Buemi||1:24.648||Lucas di Grassi||1:28.239||Sébastien Buemi||47:54.784|
|2015 Visa London ePrix II||Stéphane Sarrazin||1:23.901||Sam Bird||1:26.790||Sam Bird||45:48.792|
|2016 Visa London ePrix I||Nicolas Prost||1:23.237||Nelson Piquet Jr.||1:25.783||Nicolas Prost||53:56.653|
|2016 Visa London ePrix II||Sébastien Buemi||1:22.033||Sébastien Buemi||1:24.150||Nicolas Prost||56:32.648|
Videos and Images:
- ABB Formula E, 'Dario Franchitti's guide to Battersea', youtube.com, (YouTube: ABB Formula E, 27/06/2015), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjgztaf-J88, (Accessed 01/10/2019)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 'London ePrix double header confirmed for July 2/3' fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/09/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/september/london-eprix-double-header-confirmed-for-july-23.aspx, (Accessed 30/09/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 'FORMULA E GETS GREEN LIGHT FOR VISA LONDON EPRIX IN BATTERSEA', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/formula-e-gets-green-light-for-visa-london-eprix-in-battersea/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Register now: Formula E returns to London in 2020', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 05/03/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/february/london-e-prix, (Accessed 05/03/2019)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 'Rio returns as Formula E confirms inaugural calendar', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 04/12/2013), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2013/december/rio-returns-as-formula-e-confirms-inaugural-calendar.aspx, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 'Buemi’s stroll in the park', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 27/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/buemi-wins-as-edams-renault-clinch-team-title.aspx, (Accessed 27/06/2015)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 28/06/2015)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 'BUEMI AND DI GRASSI CHARGE UP THE ORDER, BUT IT’S PROST WHO LEADS THE WAY', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/prost-wins-in-style-as-di-grassi-inches-closer-to-title/, (Accessed 03/07/2016)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 ABB Formula E, 'Dario Franchitti's guide to Battersea', youtube.com, (YouTube: ABB Formula E, 27/06/2015), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjgztaf-J88, (Accessed 01/10/2019)
|Formula E Host Cities|
|Mexico City||Montreal||New York|
|Buenos Aires||Santiago||São Paulo||Punta del Este|
|Donington Park||Circuit Ricardo Tormo|