|Name||SWUSP Beijing ePrix|
|Location||Olympic Park, Beijing|
|Circuit||Beijing Olympic Green Circuit|
|First Race||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Last Race||2015 Beijing ePrix|
|Most Recent Results|
|Pole||Sébastien Buemi 1:37.297|
|Sébastien Buemi||Lucas di Grassi||Nick Heidfeld|
|Fastest lap||Sébastien Buemi 1:39.993|
The Beijing ePrix was an annual motorsports event staged at the Beijing Olympic Green Circuit in Beijing, China, that served as part of the FIA Formula E Championship. The Beijing ePrix would go down in FE folklore as the first ePrix to be staged, serving as the opening round of the inaugural 2014/15 season, and would return to host the opening round of the 2015/16 season.
Beijing, current capital of the People's Republic of China, is a city that can trace its origins as far back as the 11th century B.C. Originally named as Ji (the walled city), Beijing evolved into the de-facto capital of the First Emperor of Unified China. The cities status as the capital of the region and the country lasted, with the current era, the People's Republic using the city for that purpose since 1949. Beijing has also hosted several major events in recent years, most notably the 2008 Olympic Games.
Formula E History
The Olympic Green Circuit in Beijing would have the honour of hosting the first ever ePrix, where Lucas di Grassi made history by becoming the first winner in Formula E history at the 2014 Beijing ePrix.
The Brazilian took advantage of a late race crash between Nicolas Prost and Nick Heidfeld at the final corner, before being joined on the podium by Franck Montagny and Sam Bird. Beijing returned to host the season opener for the 2015/16 season in September 2015, with 2014 winner di Grassi ending the race in second after being beaten to the line by Sébastien Buemi.
Circuit LayoutThe Beijing ePrix circuit features twenty corners, with 3.44 km (2.14 mi) of tarmac linking them. The circuit runs through the Olympic Park, running past the iconic Bird's Nest stadium as well as the Beijing National Aquatics Centre. The circuit also features an unusual pitlane, with a U-shaped section within it that houses the 40 car field. 20 corners provided numerous overtaking opportunities for the drivers, with the deceptively tight final corner allowing one final chance to overtake.
A full list of records for the Beijing ePrix is outlined below, including a list of race winners.
Below is a list of all of the winners of the Beijing ePrix:
|Beijing ePrix Winners List|
|2014/15||2014 Evergrande Spring Beijing ePrix||Beijing Olympic Green Circuit||13 September 2014||Lucas di Grassi||Report|
|2015/16||2015 SWUSP Beijing ePrix||Beijing Olympic Green Circuit||24 October 2015||Sébastien Buemi||Report|
Videos and Images:
- 'Beijing ePrix ad campaign', sportsbusinessdaily.com, (Street & Smiths: SBJ Daily, 14/10/2015), https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2015/10/14/Media/Beijing-ePrix.aspx, (Accessed 04/10/2019)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 'Circuit guide: Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/calendar/2014-beijing/beijing-circuit.aspx, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 'Rio returns as Formula E confirms inaugural calendar', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 04/12/2013), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2013/december/rio-returns-as-formula-e-confirms-inaugural-calendar.aspx, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 'WMSC reveals dates for season two Formula E calendar', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/07/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/july/wmsc-reveals-dates-for-season-two-formula-e-calendar.aspx, (Accessed 10/07/2015)
- ↑ Formula E set to race in Sanya in Season 5', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/formula-e-set-to-race-in-sanya-in-season-5/, (Accessed 03/07/2018)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 'Beijing', wikipedia.org, (WikiMedia, 02/07/2015), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 'Lucas di Grassi snatches win after dramatic last corner crash', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/09/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/september/lucas-di-grassi-snatches-win-after-dramatic-last-corner-crash.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
|Formula E Host Cities|
|Mexico City||Montreal||New York|
|Buenos Aires||Santiago||São Paulo||Punta del Este|
|Donington Park||Circuit Ricardo Tormo|