|Based||Los Angeles, US|
|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Key People||Paul Woolnough|
|Driver(s)||Maximilian Günther (No.6)|
Felipe Nasr (No.6)
José María López (No.7)
|First Win||2015 Berlin ePrix|
|José María López||Maximilian Günther|
|21st (3 Pt(s))||17th (10 Pt(s))|
|10th (13 Pt(s))|
Unfortunately for them, 2016/17 would see GEOX DRAGON only take a handful of points finishes, prompting them to sign Porsche factory driver Neel Jani for season four. However, Jani would leave the team after his debut in Hong Kong, with José María López brought in for the rest of the season.
Luczo Dragon Racing were formed in 2006, originally to compete in IndyCar. After a brief spell out of action between 2010 and 2011, the team were re-branded in their current guise, and continued to compete in Indy Car, notably aiding Katherine Legge in her career, before ceasing their operations in the American series in 2014.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Dragon Racing announced that they would bring their full attention to Formula E, having ended their involvement in IndyCar. They also boast some of the biggest sponsors in the world, including McAfee, Microsoft and Chevrolet, who may also get involved in the championship. They had initially announced that Mike Conway would drive for them early in 2014, with d'Ambrosio announced a few weeks later, but the Brit pulled out shortly before the 2014 Beijing ePrix. His seat was filled by Oriol Servià, who ran the other two Spark-Renaults at the opening race of the series.
Servia and d'Ambrosio were consistent point scorers, a trend which continued after Loïc Duval joined the team at the 2015 Miami ePrix. Duval's move came about after Servia was offered the chance to become a director in the team, a role which he took up a few days before the ePrix in Miami. d'Ambrosio then took a breakthrough win at the 2015 Berlin ePrix, becoming the seventh different winner in the inaugural season, following Lucas di Grassi's disqualification. The team were then placed in second in the Championship, a surprise to most after the first seven races.
After falling out of the top two after Moscow and the 2015 London ePrix I, Dragon's duo of d'Ambrosio and Duval scored a double podium in the final race of the season. That result put them back in second, overtaking Audi Sport ABT whom had looked set to finish second up until that point.
Venturi ValourEditFor the 2015/16 season, Dragon secured a deal with Venturi Automobiles, who run their own FE team in the form of Venturi Grand Prix, to build a powertrain. With Duval and d'Ambrosio retained, the 2015 Donington Test became an interesting duel between the "factory" Venturi team, and the "customer" Dragon effort. After the six day test, it would be the American effort who seemed to have mastered the new car, despite only receiving their first pair of cars at the shakedown before the Test week.
It would be a strong start to the season for Dragon, with Duval and d'Ambrosio both getting into the points having both challenged for the podium until the closing stages. A less successful day in Putrajaya, before d'Ambrosio snatched a pole, and podium, in Punta del Este, a race long duel with Duval demonstrating the team's natural pace. The Dragon team's battle with Venturi was also going in their favour, with another double points finish secured in the 2016 Buenos Aires ePrix.
Then came the 2016 Mexico City ePrix, where d'Ambrosio claimed an impressive pole, the second for the team, before going on to lead the race early on. The Belgian would ultimately lose out in the race when di Grassi took the lead just before the stops, with the Belgian fending off numerous challenges from Sébastien Buemi for second. Yet, after the race, one of di Grassi's cars was found to be underweight leaving the Belgian as the race winner, a repetition of the events at the 2015 Berlin ePrix.
For the rest of the season, Dragon's pace would largely disappear, leaving them to slip down the pecking order to fourth, behind DS Virgin Racing. Duval would suffer three retirements in succession with d'Ambrosio only scoring points once during the Frenchman's run towards the end of the campaign. Fortunately for the team, and just days after they confirmed their plans for season three, Duval and d'Ambrosio would once again battle for a podium spot, with the Belgian claiming third in the 2016 London ePrix II to round out the season in fifth, while Dragon missed out on third place by just a single point.
Team owner Jay Penske arranged for Dragon to run their own cars for the 2016/17 season, uniting a number of American companies under the Penske name to build a powertrain. A new title sponsor, and supplier, Faraday Future were also signed up, while the driving partnership of d'Ambrosio and Duval were also retained ahead of the 2016 Donington Test. The test would see the Penske 701-EV run publicly for the first time, with Duval setting an excellent time on the final day to put the new car into fifth in terms of ultimate pace.
A Porsche Prospect?Edit
For 2017/18 Dragon would continue to use a Penske built powertrain, with d'Ambrosio retained as their lead driver for the season. However, the team also revealed that a group of Porsche engineers would be working alongside their team for the season, in preparation for their debut in 2019/20 with an as yet unnamed team. This deal also included a provision for ex-Porsche LMP1 racer Neel Jani to join the team, with the Swiss pilot to partner d'Ambrosio for the full season.
Unfortunately it would be a miserable start to the season for Dragon, with neither d'Ambrosio nor Jani managing to score at all at the opening round. That fact prompted Jani to leave the team after the opening two races in Hong Kong, with the Swiss racer citing his disappointment of his FE debut. That allowed Dragon to hire the free agent José María López for the rest of the season, with the Argentine ace duly delivering their first points finish of the season with sixth place in Marrakech.
Dragon would field Maximilian Günther and Andrea Caldarelli during the 2018 Rookie Test, with the former ending the day third fastest overall, before López and d'Ambrosio returned for the battle of Santiago. This time it was d'Ambrosio's turn to pick up his first points of the season, with López retiring, before the pair tripped over one-another in Mexico City to drop out of the points. López then claimed Dragon's first fastest lap award in Punta del Este after a race long fight wiht his teammate, before d'Ambrosio claimed seventh in Rome.
Another non-score would follow in Berlin, before d'Ambrosio lucked into a podium finish in Zürich by being one of the few not to get punished for speeding during a FCY. However, the season finale in New York City would be less successful, with d'Ambrosio and López effectively taking each other out in the first corner after both making strong starts. A double retirement would round out a relatively poor season for Dragon in New York, with the American squad down in ninth come seasons end.
Ahead of the 2018/19 season it was revealed that d'Ambrosio would finally leave the team, the Belgian racer deciding to pursue offers made elsewhere, as Dragon renewed their partnership with Penske for a third straight campaign, while López was retained. The team would subsequently sign FIA Formula Two Championship racer Maximilian Günther to partner the Argentine after the 2018 Valencia Test, while Antonio Fuoco was signed as their reserve.
Formula E RecordEdit
The tables below show GEOX DRAGON's full record in the FIA Formula E Championship.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The table below gives an overview of GEOX DRAGON's entries in Formula E:
|GEOX DRAGON's overall Formula E Record|
|Season||Official name||No.||Drivers||DC Pos.||DC Pts.||Car||TC Pos.||TC Pts.|
|2014/15||Dragon Racing||6||Oriol Servià||19th||16||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||2nd||171|
|2015/16||Dragon Racing||6||Loïc Duval||8th||60||Venturi VM200-FE-01||4th||143|
|2016/17||Faraday Future Dragon Racing||6||Loïc Duval||15th||20||Penske 701-EV||8th||33|
|2017/18||Dragon Racing||6||Neel Jani||25th||0||Penske EV-2||9th||41|
|6||José María López||17th||14|
|2018/19||GEOX Dragon||6||Maximilian Günther||Penske EV-3|
|7||José María López|
Listed below are the full career results of GEOX DRAGON:
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 'Teams: Dragon Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/teams/dragon-racing.aspx, (Accessed 18/07/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 'Di Grassi excluded from DHL Berlin ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/05/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/di-grassi-excluded-from-dhl-berlin-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 23/05/2015)
- ↑ 'Neel Jani Joins Faraday Future Dragon Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 25/08/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/august/neel-jani-joins-faraday-future-dragon-racing/, (Accessed 25/08/2017)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 'Jose Maria Lopez replaces Neel Jani at DRAGON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 05/01/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/january/jose-maria-lopez-replaces-neel-jani-at-dragon/, (Accessed 05/01/2018)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 'Dragon Racing', wikipedia.org, (WikiMedia, 16/07/2015), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Racing, (Accessed 18/07/2015)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 'Duval gets Dragon seat for Miami', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/03/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/march/duval-gets-dragon-seat-for-miami.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'FIA homologates manufacturers for second Formula E season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/fia-homologates-manufacturers-for-second-formula-e-season.aspx, (Accessed 03/08/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi back on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/buemi-back-on-top.aspx, (Accessed 25/12/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird holds off Buemi for BA win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 06/02/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/february/bird-holds-off-buemi-for-ba-win.aspx, (Accessed 22/03/2016)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 'Di Grassi stripped of Mexico win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/03/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/march/di-grassi-stripped-of-mexico-win.aspx, (Accessed 13/03/2016)
- ↑ 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 'TEN TEAMS ENTERED FOR THE 2016-17 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/ten-teams-entered-for-the-2016-17-fia-formula-e-championship/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ Scott Douglas, 'DRAGON KEEP D’AMBROSIO AND DUVAL FOR SEASON THREE: Dragon Racing will field an unchanged line-up for season three of Formula E', thecheckeredflag.co.uk, (The Checkered Flag, 03/07/2016), https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2016/07/dragon-keep-dambrosio-duval-season-three/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 'Neel Jani Joins Faraday Future Dragon Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 25/08/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/august/neel-jani-joins-faraday-future-dragon-racing/, (Accessed 25/08/2017)
- ↑ Gary Watkins, 'Porsche: LMP1 drivers not guaranteed Formula E seats', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 30/10/2017), https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/porsche-lmp1-drivers-not-guaranteed-formula-e-seats-973072/, (Accessed 30/10/2017)
- ↑ 'Many happy returns: Abt sails to victory in Hong Kong harbour', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/12/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/december/many-happy-returns-abt-sails-to-victory-in-hong-kong-harbour/, (Accessed 03/12/2017)
- ↑ 'Rosenqvist victorious in 2018 ABB FIA Formula E Marrakesh E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/01/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/january/rosenqvist-victorious-in-2018-abb-fia-formula-e-marrakesh-e-prix/, (Accessed 13/01/2018)
- ↑ 'Formula E rookie test driver line-up revealed', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 04/01/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/january/formula-e-rookie-test-driver-line-up-revealed/, (Accessed 04/01/2018)
- ↑ 'Abt finally clinches first victory in Mexico City', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/abt-finally-clinches-first-victory-in-mexico-city/, (Accessed 04/03/2018)
- ↑ 'Bird claims historic victory in Rome', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/04/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/april/bird-claims-historic-victory-in-rome/, (Accessed 14/04/2018)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi clinches first season victory in historic Swiss race', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/06/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/june/di-grassi-clinches-first-season-victory-in-historic-swiss-race/, (Accessed 11/06/2018)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi victorious as Vergne clinches championship crown', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/di-grassi-victorious-as-vergne-clinches-championship-crown/, (Accessed 15/07/2018)
- ↑ Sam Smith, 'D’Ambrosio Set for Dragon Exit', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 21/05/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/dragon-exit-for-dambrosio/, (Accessed 19/07/2018)
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Sam Smith, 'FORMULA E: Dragon Confirms Lopez Return', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC. 11/10/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/dragon-confirms-lopez-return/, (Accessed 11/10/2018)
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Sam Smith, 'Guenther to Join Lopez at Dragon', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 07/11/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/guenther-to-join-lopez-at-dragon/?fbclid=IwAR3w_cLOwpk55WcfAHvNvtkViye-NkGquXT1kkZ_LC87KRy_i9vOKgZ2JhQ, (Accessed 07/11/2018)
- ↑ Alex Kalinauckas, 'Ferrari F1 junior Antonio Fuoco joins Dragon Formula E team', autosport.com, (Motorsport Network, 14/11/2018), https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/140045/dragon-signs-fuoco-as-test-and-reserve-driver, (Accessed 19/11/2018)
- ↑ Sam Smith, 'Nasr to Replace Guenther at GEOX Dragon', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 05/02/2019), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/nasr-to-replace-guenther-at-geox-dragon/, (Accessed 05/02/2019)