|Based||Affalterbach, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|Début||2018 Ad Diriyah E-Prix|
|Founder||Hans Werner Aufrecht (1998)|
|Key People||Ulrich Fritz (C.E.O) and Thomaz Aufrecht|
|Driver(s)||Stoffel Vandoorne (No.5)|
Gary Paffett (No.17)
|Car||Venturi VFE 05|
|Stoffel Vandoorne||Gary Paffett|
|14th (18 Pt(s))||18th (4 Pt(s))|
|9th (22 Pt(s))|
HWA AG, otherwise known competitively as HWA Racelab, is a German engineering firm and racing team, based in Affalterbach, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Named for its founder Hans Werner Aufrecht, HWA will enter the ABB FIA Formula E Championship for the first time in 2018/19, using powertrains manufactured by Venturi.
HWA are well known for their relationship with Mercedes, which has seen Auftecht's firm run their operations in the DTM and certain sportscar series. This relationship is set to continue with the arrival of Mercedes into FE in 2019/20, with HWA set to become the de facto factory team named the Mercedes EQ Formula E Team. for 2018/19, however, the team would compete as HWA Racelab, with Gary Paffett their lead driver.
HWA's history can be traced back beyond its foundation, for its founder Hans Werner Aufrecht, in partnership with Erhard Melcher, had a history of building engines as early as 1967. Those two, together, would create AMG Motorenbau und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH (Aufrecht Melcher Großaspach), which specialised in the tuning Mercedes engines for racing. AMG's success would ultimately draw the attention of Mercedes' owners Daimler AG, which bought a controlling share of the engine and tuning side of teh the company on 1 January 1999.
Aufrecht would retain ownership of most of the racing team, and duly founded HWA AG on 30 October 1998 as a means to continue his desire to go racing. HWA would retain AMG's close ties to Mercedes, however, with Aufrecht's firm duly winning a contract to run Mercedes cars in the revived DTM in 2000. It was incredibly successful period for HWA, with themselves and Mercedes claiming five of the first six DTM titles between 2000 and 2006.
Because of that success, HWA would become the de facto factory team of Mercedes in a variety of series, building race engines for Formula 3 and race cars for V8 Supercars. The German firm were then commissioned to run Mercedes new sportscar campaign with the SLS and Mercedes-AMG GT3s, culminating in a clean sweep of the podium in the 2016 Nürburgring 24 Hours. Indeed, the only significant Mercedes project that HWA would not be involved in was Mercedes' Formula One return in 2010, which was instead developed "in-house" by AMG.
Formula E HistoryEditWhen Mercedes announced their intentions to join the FIA Formula E Championship at the 2017 Montreal ePrix, rumours emerged that HWA would launch their own FE programme. This was, in-part, due to the revelation that Mercedes would be withdrawing factory support for the DTM at the end of 2018, meaning HWA were effectively set to be without a backer in that series in 2019. As a result, HWA began to seriously consider a move in FE, sending engineers and personnel to work with the Venturi Formula E Team during the 2017/18, with a view to start in the series in 2018/19.
After shadowing Venturi through the 2017/18 season HWA would indeed decide to make a move into FE for 2018/19, announcing at the 2018 Berlin E-Prix that they would use a customer Venturi powertrain for their debut season.
Formula E RecordEdit
The tables below show HWA Racelab's full record in the FIA Formula E Championship.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The table below given and overview of HWA Racelab's entries in Formula E:
|HWA Racelab's overall Formula E Record|
|Season||Official name||No.||Drivers||DC Pos.||DC Pts.||Car||TC Pos.||TC Pts.|
|2018/19||HWA Racelab||5||Stoffel Vandoorne||Venturi VFE 05|
Listed below are the full career results of HWA Racelab:
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- @hwaag_official, '.@svandoorne will be making his Formula E debut in the 2018/19 ABB @FIAFormulaE Championship as a member of the HWA RACELAB squad.', twitter.com, (Twitter: HWA AG Official, 15/10/2018), https://twitter.com/hwaag_official/status/1051747797681299456, (Accessed 15/10/2018)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 'HIGH-PERFORMANCE COMPANY HWA AG', hwaag.com, (HWA AG, 2018), http://www.hwaag.com/en/company-en.html, (Accessed 24/05/2018)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 'Paffett to drive for HWA Racelab', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 08/10/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/october/paffett-to-drive-for-hwa-racelab/, (Accessed 08/10/2018)
- ↑ 'Mercedes EQ Formula E Team gear up for Formula E fight', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E 17/05/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/may/mercedes-eq-formula-e-team-gear-up-for-formula-e-fight/, (Accessed 17/05/2018)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 'MILESTONES', hwaag.com, (HWA AG, 2018), http://www.hwaag.com/en/company-en/meilensteine-hwa-ag-en.html, (Accessed 24/05/2018)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 'Mercedes-Benz to enter Formula E in Season 6', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/mercedes-benz-to-enter-formula-e-in-season-6/, (Accessed 25/07/2017)
- ↑ 'Venturi announce partnership with HWA AG', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/11/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/november/venturi-announce-partnership-with-hwa-ag/, (Accessed 24/05/2018)
- ↑ 'Stoffel Vandoorne completes HWA RACELAB’s driver line up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/10/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/october/stoffel-vandoorne-completes-hwa-racelab-s-driver-line-up/, (Accessed 15/10/2018)
- ↑ Sam Smith, 'Paffett, Wehrlein Primed for HWA Seats', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 10/09/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/wehrlein-and-paffett-primed-for-hwa-seats/, (Accessed 11/09/2018)