|Based||Donington Park, UK|
|Début||2016 Hong Kong ePrix|
|Key People||Gerd Mauser|
|Driver(s)||Nelson Piquet Jr. (No. 3)|
Mitch Evans (No. 20)
Ho-Pin Tung (reserve driver)
|Car||Jaguar I-Type III|
|Last Season||6th (119 pt(s))|
|Entrant||Panasonic Jaguar Racing|
|Nelson Piquet Jr.||Mitch Evans|
|22nd (1 Pt(s))||5th (105 Pt(s))|
|7th (116 Pt(s))|
Indeed, 2017/18 would be a far stronger season for the Jaguar team, with Piquet and Mitch Evans combining to achieve several firsts for the team in their second season. The pair were duly re-signed for 2018/19, with the team also getting their hands on the new Spark SRT05e chassis for their third FE campaign.
Jaguar are a name long associated with International motorsport, and have been entering pseudo-factory efforts in major series since the 1950s, most notably at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Yet, the official Jaguar Racing team would make its first appearance as a Formula One effort in the year 2000, when Ford purchased Stewart Grand Prix. In four seasons the Jaguar Racing effort would only ever manage to challenger for minor points, before being sold to Red Bull Racing for the 2005 season, although the new marque would still use the car Jaguar had built for the season.
Formula E History
Jaguar made a shock announcement to join Formula E in December 2015, replacing the failed Trulli Formula E Team as both an entrant and a manufacturer. Concessions were made to ensure that Jaguar, who had revived their F1 racing name, would be competitive during their maiden season, with the new car christened the Jaguar I-Type I. A partnership with Williams Advanced Engineering was formed as soon as their FE entry was announced, with the new I-Type up and running by the end of January 2016.
The team's official debut would take place at the 2016 Donington Test, with Jaguar hoping to use the test to assess potential drivers for their debut season. The quartet of Mitch Evans, Alex Lynn, Harry Tincknell and Adam Carroll would all take part during the first three days of the test, with Evans and Carroll ultimately signing up to be the team's racing programme during the test. On the 8th of September 2016 the team unveiled their livery, drivers and title sponsor at their season launch at Donington Park before the cars were shipped to Hong Kong for the season opener.
Jumping the Gun
For the 2017/18 season Jaguar would sign season one Champion Nelson Piquet Jr. to partner Mitch Evans, while also completing a major redesign of their I-Type powertrain. Those two would complete a successful pre-season test with the team, before Piquet matched the team's best ever result with fourth at the 2017 Hong Kong E-Prix I. Evans then went one better the following day, inheriting third place in the second Hong Kong after Daniel Abt was disqualified, to claim Jaguar's first FE podium.
Another first for the team would follow in Marrakech, with Piquet claiming their maiden fastest lap, before Pietro Fittipaldi and Paul di Resta impressed with table topping times in the 2018 Rookie Test. A double score then followed in Santiago as Evans and Piquet fought for sixth and seventh, with Piquet then claiming his third fourth of the season in Mexico City. Unfortunately for Piquet that would be as good as it got, with the Brazilian ace retiring from five of the remaining seven races, with at least two instances of loose belts.
Evans' form would also be struck in the following races, although the Kiwi would continue to pick up points finishes. Indeed, Evans proved to have impressive qualifying form, and duly claimed a historic pole position in Zürich, becoming the first man to start a race in Switzerland from pole since José Froilán González in 1954. Unfortunately for him, the Jaguar's race pace was not strong enough in Zürich, with Evans slipping to seventh in the race amid the FCY chaos towards the end of the afternoon.
Evans' quali form carried over into the New York City E-Prix, with the Kiwi again starting from the front row, only to suffer a drive shaft failure as he pulled out of his grid slot. Piquet would also retire from the race after accidentally switching his second I-Type II off after the car swap, costing the team valuable points in the Teams' Championship. Indeed, Jaguar entered the final day in a fight for fourth with Mahindra Racing and Renault e.Dams, but ultimately had to settle for sixth after a race long fight with the former.
The Mk III
Jaguar would continue to pursue their FE dreams in 2018/19, with Evans and Piquet retained for the fifth FE season. Indeed, the Jaguar project would expand to a support series, dubbed the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy, although this would not have any influence on their FE team.
Formula E Record
The tables below show Jaguar Racing's full record in the FIA Formula E Championship.
Formula E Entries
The table below given and overview of Jaguar Racing's entries in Formula E:
|Jaguar Racing's overall Formula E Record|
|Season||Official name||No.||Drivers||DC Pos.||DC Pts.||Car||TC Pos.||TC Pts.|
|2016/17||Panasonic Jaguar Racing||47||Adam Carroll||21st||5||Jaguar I-Type I||10th||27|
|2017/18||Panasonic Jaguar Racing||3||Nelson Piquet Jr.||9th||51||Jaguar I-Type II||6th||119|
|2018/19||Panasonic Jaguar Racing||3||Nelson Piquet Jr.||22nd||1||Jaguar I-Type III||7th||116|
Listed below are the full career results of Jaguar Racing:
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Sam Smith, 'Unchanged Lineup for Jaguar in Season Five', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 20/06/2018), http://e-racing365.com/formula-e/unchanged-lineup-for-jaguar-in-season-five/, (Accessed 20/06/2018)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 'Nelson Piquet Jr joins Jaguar for season four', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/09/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/nelson-piquet-jr-joins-jaguar-for-season-four/, (Accessed 21/09/2017)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 'Jaguar Racing', wikipedia.org, (Wikipedia, 09/09/2016), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Racing, (Accessed 11/09/2016)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 'Jaguar returns to global motor sport', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/jaguar-returns-to-racing.aspx, (Accessed 15/12/2015)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 'JAGUAR IMAGES TAKEN FROM INITIAL TEST RUN', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/first-pictures-of-jaguar-formula-e-car/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 'CARROLL AND EVANS CONFIRMED AT JAGUAR RACING: PANASONIC JAGUAR RACING REVEAL NEW LIVERY AND TITLE SPONSOR', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 08/09/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/september/carroll-and-evans-confirmed-at-jaguar-racing/, (Accessed 11/09/2016)
- ↑ 'Nelson Piquet Jr joins Jaguar for season four', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/09/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/nelson-piquet-jr-joins-jaguar-for-season-four/, (Accessed 21/09/2017)
- ↑ 'Bird clinches victory in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/12/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/december/bird-clinches-victory-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 16/12/2017)
- ↑ Scott Mitchell, 'Abt stripped of maiden Formula E win', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 03/12/2017), https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/abt-stripped-maiden-fe-win-hong-kong-985435/, (Accessed 03/12/2017)
- ↑ 'Rosenqvist victorious in 2018 ABB FIA Formula E Marrakesh E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/01/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/january/rosenqvist-victorious-in-2018-abb-fia-formula-e-marrakesh-e-prix/, (Accessed 13/01/2018)
- ↑ 'Abt finally clinches first victory in Mexico City', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/abt-finally-clinches-first-victory-in-mexico-city/, (Accessed 04/03/2018)
- ↑ 'JEV holds off di Grassi in battle for Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/jev-holds-off-di-grassi-in-battle-for-punta-del-este/, (Accessed 17/03/2018)
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 'Di Grassi clinches first season victory in historic Swiss race', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/06/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/june/di-grassi-clinches-first-season-victory-in-historic-swiss-race/, (Accessed 11/06/2018)
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 'Di Grassi victorious as Vergne clinches championship crown', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/di-grassi-victorious-as-vergne-clinches-championship-crown/, (Accessed 15/07/2018)
- ↑ 'Champion Vergne victorious as Audi scoops the teams' title in New York finale', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/champion-vergne-victorious-as-audi-scoops-the-teams-title-in-new-york-finale/, (Accessed 16/07/2018)
- ↑ Sam Smith, 'Unchanged Lineup for Jaguar in Season Five', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 20/06/2018), http://e-racing365.com/formula-e/unchanged-lineup-for-jaguar-in-season-five/, (Accessed 20/06/2018)
- ↑ 'Formula E and Jaguar to launch support series', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/09/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/formula-e-and-jaguar-to-launch-support-series/, (Accessed 12/09/2017)
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Sam Smith, 'Unchanged Lineup for Jaguar in Season Five', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 20/06/2018), http://e-racing365.com/formula-e/unchanged-lineup-for-jaguar-in-season-five/, (Accessed 20/06/2018)