|Playa Brava Beach Circuit|
|Name||Playa Brava Beach Circuit|
|Location||Playa Brava Beach, Punta del Este, Uruguay|
|Length||2.785 km (1.731 mi)|
|First Race||2014 Punta del Este ePrix|
|Last Race||2018 Punta del Este E-Prix|
|José María López||Jean-Éric Vergne||Sébastien Buemi|
The Playa Brava Beach Circuit is a temporary street circuit established in Punta del Este, Uruguay, which hosted three Punta del Este E-Prix between 2014/15 and 2017/18 as rounds of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship. Alternately known as the Punta del Este Street Circuit, the Playa Brava Beach Circuit has also hosted two in-season tests for FE, although has since fallen off the calendar for 2018/19 onward.
The Playa Brava Beach Circuit was first created in 1981 to host the Argentina Formula 2 Championship, and would a remain a regular fixture on their calendar through to 1988. The Circuit was abandoned beyond that point, before being completely redesigned in 2007 in order to host the Argentine TC2000 Series after an expansion by the series across South America. However, after just three meetings between 2007 and 2010 the Punta del Este circuit was dropped, and would remain dormant until FE visited the circuit in 2014.
Formula E History
The city of Punta del Este in Uruguay was among the first cities to be picked to host an ePrix ahead of the inaugural 2014/15 FIA Formula E Championship. The Playa Brava Beach Circuit subsequently emerged sa the favourite to host the race, and was duly picked to host the series' third race on 13 December 2014. The race was won by Sébastien Buemi, although there were a lot of complaints about the circuit with regards to the pit-exit.
Playa Brava Beach was subsequently modified for the 2015 Punta del Este ePrix, with the first chicane swapped from a right-left combo to a left-right, meaning the pit-exit was located on the outside of the corner. Otherwise the circuit would remain unaltered, and would produce the same result as Buemi once again swept to victory. The circuit subsequently dropped off the calendar in 2016/17 and 2017/18, only to be reinstated during the latter season after the planned São Paulo E-Prix was cancelled.
A lap of Punta del Este opens on a curving start/finish straight, before the field hit the brakes for the first chicane, a left-right combination with an extended sweep right to exit. A set of gentle curves formed turns three and four, before the field hit the brakes for the second chicane, a sharp right-left combination to break up the run to turn eight. Turn eight itself formed effectively an elongated hairpin with turn nine, a pair of 90° lefts that turned the field back on itself.
Another chicane followed that complex, with turns ten and eleven forming a left-right combination, followed by another shallow chicane at turn twelve. Turn thirteen appeared as a sweeping right, leading the field into the tightest chicane at turns fourteen and fifteen, a sharp left-right combo. Another curving straight then led the field into the final complex, which opened with a left hand curve of turn sixteen.
Turn sixteen quickly developed into the braking zone for turn seventeen a sharp right that immediately opened into turn eighteen, a 90° left. Turn nineteen was a long curve that followed turn eighteen, and would itself end in a hairpin left that appeared to form turn twenty. That hairpin hence left the field back on the start/finish straight, with pit-in on the outside of the hairpin.
A full list of records for the Playa Brava Beach Circuit are outlined below, including a list of race winners.
Below is a list of all of the winners of ePrix held at the Playa Brava Beach Circuit:
|Playa Brava Beach Circuit Winners List|
|2014/15||2014 Julius Baer Punta del Este ePrix||13 December 2014||Sébastien Buemi||Report|
|2015/16||2015 FIA Formula E Punta del Este ePrix||19 December 2015||Sébastien Buemi||Report|
|2017/18||2018 CBMM Niobium Punta del Este E-Prix||17 March 2018||Jean-Éric Vergne||Report|
The race-by-race records for the Playa Brava Beach Circuit are outlined below:
|Playa Brava Beach Circuit Race-by-Race Records|
|Playa Brava Beach Circuit — 2.808 km (2014)|
|2014 Julius Baer Punta del Este ePrix||Jean-Éric Vergne||1:15.408||Daniel Abt||1:18.451||Sébastien Buemi||49:08.990|
|Playa Brava Beach Circuit — 2.785 km (2015 - 2018)|
|2015 FIA Formula E Punta del Este ePrix||Jérôme d'Ambrosio||1:15.498||Sébastien Buemi||1:17.413||Sébastien Buemi||45:59.697|
|2018 CBMM Niobium Punta del Este E-Prix||Jean-Éric Vergne||1:16.806||José María López||1:16.811||Jean-Éric Vergne||50:43.809|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 'Formula E returns to Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 06/12/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/december/formula-e-returns-to-punta-del-este/, (Accessed 06/12/2017)
- ↑ 'ABB FIA Formula E Championship Season 5', info.fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/06/2018), http://info.fiaformulae.com/season-5-calendar/, (Accessed 07/06/2018)
- ↑ 'Punta del Este', racingcircuits.info, (Racing Circuits, 2019), https://www.racingcircuits.info/south-america/uruguay/punta-del-este.html, (Accessed 07/10/2019)
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 'Circuit guide: Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/calendar/2014-punta-del-este/punta-del-este-circuit.aspx, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 'Brilliant Buemi wins in Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/12/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/december/brilliant-buemi-wins-in-punta-del-este.aspx, (Accessed 26/04/2015)
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 'WMSC reveals dates for season two Formula E calendar', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/07/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/july/wmsc-reveals-dates-for-season-two-formula-e-calendar.aspx, (Accessed 10/07/2015)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 'Buemi back on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/buemi-back-on-top.aspx, (Accessed 25/12/2015)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 'JEV holds off di Grassi in battle for Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/jev-holds-off-di-grassi-in-battle-for-punta-del-este/, (Accessed 17/03/2018)
|Formula E Host Cities|
|Mexico City||Montreal||New York|
|Buenos Aires||Santiago||São Paulo||Punta del Este|
|Donington Park||Circuit Ricardo Tormo|