|Punta del Este E-Prix|
|Name||CBMM Niobium Punta del Este E-Prix|
|Location||Playa Brava Beach, Punta del Este, Uruguay|
|Circuit||Playa Brava Beach Circuit|
|First Race||2014 Punta del Este ePrix|
|Last Race||2018 Punta del Este E-Prix|
|Most Recent Results|
|Name||2018 CBMM Niobium Punta del Este E-Prix|
|Pole||Jean-Éric Vergne 1:16.806|
|Jean-Éric Vergne||Lucas di Grassi||Sam Bird|
|Fastest lap||José María López 1:16.811|
The Punta del Este E-Prix is a former motorsport event staged at the Playa Brava Beach Circuit in Punta del Este, Uruguay, that served as a round of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship. A three time host of the FE Championship, Punta del Este was a semi-regular host of the Series, only to be seemingly dropped permanently after the 2017/18 season.
Indeed, having missed out on a race in the 2016/17 season due to funding concerns, thePunta del Este E-Prix would be restored to the FE calendar for the 2017/18 Championship. This was a result of the cancellation of the proposed São Paulo E-Prix, with Punta del Este stepping in to fill the gap in the 2017/18 calendar on 17 March 2018.
Punta del Este was promoted to ciudad (city) status in the 1950s, from originally being a Spanish settlement in the 16th century. Recent history has seen Punta del Este host an American summit in 1968, before hosting the Uruguay round of talks that ultimately ended up forming the World Trade Organisation.
Formula E History
Punta del Este was a founding city for the Formula E Championship, having been included in both the provisional and official calendars for the inaugural 2014/15 season. Using a modified version of the World Touring Car Championship circuit in the city, the track would become notable for the sand blown across the tarmac. After returning for 2015/16, the Punta del Este round was dropped for 2016/17. The circuit would also host the only in-season tests during the first two Formula E seasons.
Sébastien Buemi claimed his first victory in Formula E by taking the honours in the 2014 Punta del Este ePrix, beating Brazilian duo Nelson Piquet, Jr. and Lucas di Grassi. Qualifying had already produced a shock when Jean-Eric Vergne claimed pole position despite never having driven the Spark-Renault SRT_01E before the meeting. The second edition of the race saw Buemi on top once again, as he recovered from a poor quali result to win for the fifth time in Formula E history.
A full list of records for the Punta del Este E-Prix is outlined below, including a list of race winners.
Below is a list of all of the winners of the Punta del Este E-Prix:
|Punta del Este E-Prix Winners List|
|2014/15||2014 Julius Baer Punta del Este ePrix||Playa Brava Beach Circuit||13 December 2014||Sébastien Buemi||Report|
|2015/16||2015 FIA Formula E Punta del Este ePrix||Playa Brava Beach Circuit||19 December 2015||Sébastien Buemi||Report|
|2017/18||2018 CBMM Niobium Punta del Este E-Prix||Playa Brava Beach Circuit||17 March 2018||Jean-Éric Vergne||Report|
Videos and Images:
- ABB Formula E, 'There's six weeks until the #PuntaePrix on December 19', twitter.com, (Twitter: FIA Formula E, 08/11/2015), https://twitter.com/fiaformulae/status/663280636354949122, (Accessed 07/10/2019)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 'Circuit guide: Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/calendar/2014-punta-del-este/punta-del-este-circuit.aspx, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 'Buemi back on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/buemi-back-on-top.aspx, (Accessed 25/12/2015)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 'Formula E returns to Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 06/12/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/december/formula-e-returns-to-punta-del-este/, (Accessed 06/12/2017)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 'Punta del Este', wikipedia.org, (WikiMedia, 02/07/2015), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_del_Este, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 'From Hong Kong to New York: FIVE NEW CITIES FOR THIRD FORMULA E SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/from-hong-kong-to-new-york/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 'Brilliant Buemi wins in Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/12/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/december/brilliant-buemi-wins-in-punta-del-este.aspx, (Accessed 26/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Rio returns as Formula E confirms inaugural calendar', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 04/12/2013), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2013/december/rio-returns-as-formula-e-confirms-inaugural-calendar.aspx, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 'WMSC reveals dates for season two Formula E calendar', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/07/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/july/wmsc-reveals-dates-for-season-two-formula-e-calendar.aspx, (Accessed 10/07/2015)
|Formula E Host Cities|
|Mexico City||Montreal||New York|
|Buenos Aires||Santiago||São Paulo||Punta del Este|
|Donington Park||Circuit Ricardo Tormo|